Things to look for in a personal representative:
- Trustworthy-- you are giving them full control over your estate.
- Practical-- they should be good at following up on deadlines and dealing with the basics of life like paying bills.
- Detail oriented/ organized: they will be keeping up with their household responsibilities and yours for an uncertain amount of time (particularly if you own your home).
- Physically and emotionally capable (or with good support systems of their own).
- Lives near you (preferably less than an hour away).
Think of it this way-- your personal representative is going to be going though your underwear drawer and likely learning a lot more about you than you can imagine. Pick someone you trust-- not someone who you think it is your duty to pick.